Thursday, February 23, 2012

Mardi Gras is the love of life!

The Hubs and I enjoyed two if our homemade favorites in celebration of this past "Fat Tuesday" - Cajun Shrimp and Smoked Gouda Grits and Hurricane Punch!  [If it was even possible] I think he came to love me even more after I made these two yummy items for him the first time!  One of his all time FAV combos now :)  Makes my heart smile every time he finishes the last bite of the shrimpn'grits leftovers and wants to know when it will be in the menu rotation again.

I love anything THEMED!!  Holidays lead to parties which lead to putting together fun outfits and food menus!  And he has come to embrace and love all those 'lil things too - esp. when it means great themed meals are in in-store for his manly yet eclectic palette.  But if we are being honest - we girls with the "gift" - we can make a Holiday out of anything ;)

Hurricane Punch
makes 6 to 8 servings
(we always make double and freeze the leftovers to enjoy on a random occasion)
4 cups pineapple juice
4 cups orange juice
2 cups light rum (for best results we use Captain Morgan's Silver Spiced Rum)
1 cup grenadine
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup lime juice
1/4 triple sec
1 liter lemon-lime-flavored soda, chilled*

Combine all ingredients; stir to mix well.  When ready to serve, add lemon-lime beverage; stir gently.  Serve over ice....  Or think ahead and put a couple of plastic glasses full of this yummy goodness in the freezer to get niiiiice and slushy!  I am not much on sugar comas, well not in this 30-thing metabolism decade of my life, so we omit the "simple syrup" part of this orig. recipe - there is nothing simple about a cup of sugar, not even when mixed with lil ole H2O.  There is plenty of natural sugar in the listed Ingreds.  I promise.  I assure you.
*when doubling the recipe we still use the 1 liter of lemon-lime soda (diet, of course).

Laissez les bons temps rouler!
(Pronounced "Lay say lay bohn tohn roo lay")... In plain English - Let the good times roll!!!!!!!!!

[I have TRIED to use less exclamations, bible, but while periods serve their glorious purpose 99% of the time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just give me some sort of happy, joyous release! !! !! ! Just can.not describe it ;)]  It truly is the 'lil things in Life.
Drink up and enjoy!
Jonjon and Lulu